Newcastle Stamp and Coin ExpoBuy Tickets
Open 10am - 5pm Fri & Sat
Open 10am - 2pm Sun
The 2022 Newcastle Stamp and Coin Expo will be held from Friday 27 May to Sunday 29 May 2022. The venue is the Newcastle Showground Exhibition Centre, located in Brown Road, Broadmeadow, just 150 metres from the railway station. This venue is flat with no steps, has internal toilets, and food and drink will be available.
The expo consists of two parts – one part is the Newcastle 2022 National Philatelic Exhibition, where collectors exhibit their collections for fellow collectors to observe and study. Many new friendships are formed at these exhibitions. The displays are judged, and awards presented to each, ranging from gold to bronze medals. For team events, the scores are added together.
The other part of the expo is where the leading dealers from Australia have gathered, to buy and sell. Present will be dealers trading in stamps, coins and medallions, and postcards. A full list of the dealers is located on the website, https://newcastlephilatelicsociety.org.au in the drop down tab COLLECTOR INFORMATION under 2021 Newcastle Stamp & Coin Expo.
Entry to the expo is free. Browsing is welcome.
All the dealers will be buying new stock. If you have some old stamp albums, collections of coins or medals, a box of postcards or some other collectables, that you no longer require, bring them to the expo and ask a few dealers for a price or valuation.
Each philatelic exhibition sells souvenirs to help defray the costs of hosting it. These include Australia Post stamp issues that are not available elsewhere, commemorative postmarks, and unissued stamp designs that have been specially printed for these events. The collecting of exhibition, expo and stamp show souvenirs is a fast growing hobby.
Collectors who wish to support the exhibition can purchase a supporter’s pack, or by buying individual souvenirs.
The supporter’s pack contains:
- one imperforate miniature sheet overprinted in gold for the Newcastle 2021 exhibition
- one unissued stamp design card depicting a rural mail van
- one overprinted stamp replica card depicting the 1/6 Hermes 1934 air mail stamp
- three covers depicting the theme days, cancelled with the special post office cancels
- one postcard with limited edition MyStamp affixed and cancelled at the exhibition
The supporter’s pack costs $50, and is limited to 100. Some items in the packs are numbered.
Other souvenirs which will be available are:
- unissued stamp design card $10
- imperforate miniature sheet overprinted in gold $30
- imperforate miniature sheet overprinted in silver $25
- above two miniature sheets purchased together $45 (saving of $10)
- three different covers cancelled with exhibition cancels $15
- the individual covers as above, $6 each
- postcard with limited edition MyStamp affixed and cancelled at the exhibition $6
- set of 12 covers cancelled at the exhibition featuring 12 different RAAF aircraft from the Australia Post My Stamps pack $50
Australia Post will be in attendance for the three days. There will be a different commemorative postmark used each day, with the following themes:
Day 1 - Friday – Roadside Mail Delivery Day
Day 2 - Saturday – Aviation Day
Day 3 – Sunday – Postcard Day
These themes are featured on some of the souvenir products.
Details of the Australia Post souvenirs, overprints and commemorative cancels will appear in future issues of the Stamp Bulletin, and will be shown on the Australia Post website. The Australia Post imperforate miniature sheet will be announced closer to the expo.